Veal Shanks Milan Style
- 6 veal shanks, each about 2 inches thick
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Chopped fresh parsley; for garnish
Place veal shanks on aluminum foil and sprinkle with flour. Heat oil in a large heavy heatproof casserole over medium heat. Add veal and brown on all sides. Remove veal.
Add onion, carrot and celery to casserole. Sauté until lightly browned. Return veal to casserole. Stir in wine and cook until reduced by half. Add tomatoes. Cover and reduce heat. Simmer 1 1/2 hours or until meat falls away from the bone. Add 2 tablespoons parsley and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Arrange veal and sauce on warm platter.
Sprinkle with chopped parsley. Serve immediately.
Adapted from Biba’s Northern Italian Cooking. 2002. Biba Caggiano, HP Books