Tomato Soup With A Twist
A hint of lemon and cinnamon add mystery and elegance to this classic comfort food.
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 (2-inch) cinnamon sticks
- 3 (1/4-inch thick) lemon slices
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Paper thin slices of lemon; for garnishing
- Ground cinnamon; for garnishing
Heat oil in sauté pan over medium heat and cook shallots until just beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and continue cooking for 1 minute. Stir in sugar, red pepper flakes, vinegar, pepper, oregano, and tomatoes. Reduce heat and simmer mixture on low until thick like jam, 20 to 30 minutes. Cool and fold in olives and capers. Can be stored for up to two weeks, tightly covered, in the refrigerator.