Sautéed Prawns with Lemon and California Tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/4 pounds of shrimp (about 30 medium), shelled and de-veined
- 10 ounces whole canned tomatoes, drained and cut into strips
- 3 tablespoons pastis*, such as Ricard or Pernod
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut in small pieces
- 2 tablespoons julienned fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh chives
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground white pepper
Warm the olive oil in a large sauté pan over high heat. Add shrimp and sauté for about 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the tomatoes and the pastis, then flambé until the flame dies out.
Add the lemon juice, butter, basil, parsley, and chives and season with salt and pepper to taste. Swirl the pan over the heat just until the butter is completely melted into the sauce. Take care not to boil, or the sauce may separate.
*Pastis is a French liquor flavored with aniseed.