A fun way to get a big portion of good tomato nutrition.
- 8 ounces ground lean beef
- 1 teaspoon chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground basil
- Salt and pepper
- 12 (1 ounce) slices French bread
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (6 ounces)
In large heavy frypan over medium-high heat, brown ground beef and drain well. Stir in onion and garlic powder. Cook until onion is opaque. Add remaining ingredients. Mix well. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour.
To serve, toast bread slices lightly on one side. Turn and sprinkle cheese on remaining side and place under preheated broiler until cheese is melted. Cut into 1-inch strips. Portion sauce into 4-ounce soufflé cups and arrange with bread on serving plates.
Nutrition facts per serving: 360 cal (35% cal. from fat), 14g total fat (6g sat fat, 5g mono, 1g poly), 45mg chol., 630mg sodium, 39g carbo., 4g fiber, 20g pro. Daily Value: 30% vit. A, 30% vit. C, 25% calcium, 20% iron, 19% potassium.
Adapted from a USDA National School Lunch Program recipe.