Confetti Spaghetti and Vegetable Salad
Lots of good nutrition and antioxidants, too, when canned diced tomatoes join these other easy to prepare ingredients.
- 4 ounces spaghetti
- 3/4 cup frozen mixed vegetables (3 1/2 ounces)
- 1 (8 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 3/4 cup diced American cheese (4 1/4 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons diced black olives
- 1 tablespoon diced red onion
- 2 teaspoons chopped pepperoncini
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 3/8 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 3/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup low fat Italian dressing
- Grated Parmesan cheese; for garnish
- Dried parsley leaves; for garnish
Break spaghetti into fourths. Cook in 4 quarts boiling water until tender-firm, about 8 minutes. Add frozen vegetables during last 2 minutes. Drain and cool in cold water; drain again and set aside. In large bowl, combine tomatoes, diced cheese, olives, onion, pepperoncini, grated Parmesan, basil, and pepper. Add cooked spaghetti, vegetables, and dressing. Toss to mix well and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before to serving. To serve, sprinkle each serving with additional grated Parmesan and dried parsley leaves.
Nutrition facts per serving: 140 cal (22% cal. from fat), 3.5g total fat (1.5g sat fat, 1g mono, 1g poly), 10mg chol., 470mg sodium, 20 g carbo., 2g fiber, 9g pro. Daily Value: 20% vit. A, 10% vit. C, 15% calcium, 8% iron, 3% potassium.
Adapted from a USDA National School Lunch Program recipe.