Simple Saucy Beef Lasagna
School food service cooks avoid all that layering to quickly prepare this favorite of students everywhere.
- 1 1/2 pounds ground lean beef
- 10 1/2 ounces lasagna noodles, uncooked
- 4 cups water
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup dehydrated minced onion
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups shredded part-skim milk mozzarella cheese (8 ounces)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded American cheese (6 ounces)
Preheat oven to 350º F. Remove tops from peppers and set aside. Being careful not to puncture the bottoms, scoop out and discard cores, ribs, and seeds. Arrange peppers in 9 by 13-inch baking dish and set aside.
In a medium sauté pan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; sauté for 3 minutes. Stir in rice and continue stirring until translucent, about 1 minute. Add tomato paste, tomatoes, parsley, oregano, salt, and pepper; simmer for 3 minutes. Divide rice mixture evenly and spoon into peppers. Add water just to cover the filling. Replace pepper tops. Bake for 1 hour or until water is absorbed and rice is tender.
Nutrition facts per serving: 210 cal (21% cal. from fat), 5g total fat (0.5g sat fat, 3g mono, <1g poly), -0- mg chol., 520mg sodium, 37g carbo., 4g fiber, 4g pro. Daily Values: 20% vit. A, 210% vit. C, 6% calcium, 15% iron, 12% potassium.