Creamy yogurt and cucumber sauce over Greek-flavored meatloaf tempts kids of all ages to enjoy these good sandwiches.
- 1 pound ground lean beef
- 2/3 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 3 tablespoons chopped onions
- 1 1/4 teaspoons chopped parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 clove garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup plain fat free yogurt
- 3 tablespoon sour cream
- 1/8 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 2 (6 1/2-inch) whole wheat pita breads
- 1/4 cup peeled and chopped cucumber
- 1/4 cup shredded lettuce
- 1/4 cup diced fresh tomato
In large mixing bowl with mixer at low speed or by hand, mix beef, breadcrumbs, tomato paste, egg, onions, parsley, Worcestershire sauce, and garlic. Spread evenly in 7 1/2 by 3 3/4 by 2 1/4-inch loafpan. Bake at 375ºF for 1 hour or until done (160ºF). Cool and refrigerate overnight. Slice into 4 slices.
In small bowl, blend yogurt, sour cream, and dill. Cover; refrigerate until serving time. Cut each pita bread in half, forming two pockets. Place one slice of meatloaf in each pocket. Spread with yogurt mixture. Garnish with lettuce, tomato and cucumber.
Nutrition facts per serving: 490 cal (45% cal. from fat), 25g total fat (10g sat fat, 10g mono, 2g poly), 125mg chol., 450mg sodium, 37g carbo., 4g fiber, 30g pro. Daily Value: 10% vit. A, 15% vit. C, 10% calcium, 25% iron, 20% potassium.
Adapted from the School Nutrition Association Recipe Database