From Anne Grandjean, Director, Santa Clarita Valley School Food Service Agency
Lots of vitamins and fiber, too, make this a real winner with our students.
- 1 medium unpeeled eggplant, diced
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can whole tomatoes, drained and diced
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups thinly shredded cabbage
- 6 ounces sharp process American cheese, shredded (1 1/2 cups) and divided
Combine eggplant and water in large skillet. Cover and simmer till tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Turn into 2-quart baking dish. In same skillet brown meat, onion, and garlic; drain. Stir in tomato sauce, tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, nutmeg, salt, pepper, and cabbage. Cook, covered, for 10 minutes. Then, stir in 1 cup cheese. Spoon over eggplant. Cover and bake at 350°F for 20 minutes. Uncover, sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake 10 minutes more, until cheese is melted. Serve hot.
Nutrition facts per serving: 330 cal (59% cal. from fat), 22g total fat (10g sat fat, 8g mono, 1g poly), 80mg chol., 860mg sodium, 12g carbo., 3g fiber, 23g pro. Daily Values: 20% vit. A, 35% vit. C, 20% calcium, 15% iron, 21% potassium.