From Rhonda DeVaux, R.D., Director of Food Services, Irvine Unified School District
All these great vegetables and tomatoes make this a powerhouse meal that can fill up any kid!
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup chopped white onion
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh green pepper
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon onion salt
- 1 tablespoon bottled hot pepper sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1(14.5 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
- 2/3 cup bulgur wheat
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup low fat plain yogurt
- 3 cups low fat Cheddar cheese, shredded
Heat oil in large heavy kettle. Add onion and sauté 3 minutes, until tender. Stir in chili powder, cumin, garlic, onion salt, hot sauce, sugar, and tomatoes. Heat to boiling and simmer 15 minutes, covered. Add beans, bulgur, and water. Reheat and slimmer 15 minutes more, uncovered. Stir in yogurt until well blended. Serve hot with 1/4 cup cheese sprinkled on top of each serving.
Nutrition facts per serving: 210 cal (18% cal. from fat), 4.5g total fat (1.5g sat fat, 2g mono, 1g poly), 5mg chol., 340mg sodium, 29g carbo., 9g fiber, 15g pro. Daily Value: 25% vit. A, 20% vit. C, 20% calcium, 8% iron, 8% potassium.