From Rhonda DeVaux, R.D., Director of Food Services, Irvine Unified School District
Just like a stagecoach, these wheel-shaped pastas roll the good tomato flavor and nutrition right into hungry kids every time.
- 1/4 cup chopped white onion
- 10 ounces ground turkey
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced, tomatoes
- 1/8 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon ground basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 1/2 cups ruoti or ruotini (wagon wheel) pasta
- 1/4 ounce Parmesan cheese, grated (about 1 tablespoon)
In large heavy skillet over medium-high heat, sauté onion and turkey until no sign of red remains in meat and onion is translucent. Drain fat and return to heat. Add tomatoes and seasonings. Simmer, covered, for 1 hour over low heat, stirring occasionally.
Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain. Add to turkey mixture along with cheese and blend. Heat again to 165ºF. Serve hot.
Nutrition facts per serving: 150 cal (41% cal. from fat), 7g total fat (2g sat fat, 2g mono, 2g poly), 30mg chol., 220mg sodium, 13g carbo., 2g fiber, 10g pro. Daily Values: 6% vit. A, 15% vit. C, 6% calcium, 10% iron, 2% potassium.