Always in season, canned diced tomatoes bring delicious nutrition to a favorite kid tested version of this Italian bread.
- 1 large round loaf Italian bread
- 1 (8 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1/3 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup pitted and chopped ripe olives
- 1 2/3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (6 ounces)
- 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese (1 1/2 ounces
Place bread shells on baking sheet. Brush lightly with olive oil. Layer with tomatoes, red peppers, basil, olives and mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle Parmesan over all. Bake in oven or broiler at 450°F until heated through and cheese is melted. Cut baked loaf into 8 wedges.
Nutrition facts per serving: 170 cal (33% cal. from fat), 6g total fat (3g sat fat, 2g mono, <1g poly), 15mg chol., 420mg sodium, 18g carbo., 1g fiber, 10g pro. Daily Value: 15% vit. A, 25% vit. C, 20% calcium, 8% iron, 2% potassium.
Adapted from the School Nutrition Association Recipe Database.