Especially for spaghetti, penne, or other pastas, this rich sauce is a good base for recipes with sausages, spicy meats, and bacon, too.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/4 cups yellow onions, diced small
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme leaves
- 2 cups white wine
- 2 (28 ounce) cans peeled whole tomatoes, crushed
- 1/2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
In large soup pot, heat oil to very hot. Add onions, garlic, herbs, and wine. Reduce until wine is completely evaporated. Add tomatoes, tomato juice, and wine vinegar. Simmer and cook for 40 to 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add salt and pepper. Remove from heat and stir in fresh basil leaves.