Levantamuertos (Raise the Dead)
- 1 1/2 ounces spiced gin, such as Bombay Sapphire
- 6 ounces Nueva María Mix (see recipe below), chilled
- Raw oysters, raw clams, and/or steamed shrimp or other fish bits, chilled, as desired
- 1 (46 ounce) can V-8® juice
- 2 ounces Spanish dry sherry (optional)
- 3 tablespoons Pick a Peppa Sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons toasted and ground cumin seeds (see recipe below)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
Combine the gin and the nueva maría mix in a pitcher. Spoon the seafood into the individual shot glasses. Top off with the gin and mix and serve with limes on the side, if you like.
Nueva Maria Mix
Mix all the ingredients in a large pitcher.
Makes about 3 quarts
Toasted And Ground Cumin Seeds
Gently warm the seeds in a dry skillet over medium heat. Once they become aromatic, they are toasted. When they have cooled a bit, grind them in a spice mill (or a clean coffee grinder) or with a mortar and pestle.