From Jane Stallings, R.D., Administrative Director, Santa Clarita Valley School Food Service Agency
Here's a hearty, healthy soup. Kids just eat it up if it isn't too spicy!
- 4 hot link or smoked sausages
- 1 gallon water
- 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon
- 1 cup diced onions
- 1 celery stalk, sliced
- 3 to 4 cups diced cooked turkey or chicken
- 1 tablespoon dehydrated garlic flakes
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup filé powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon ground red pepper (optional)
- Hot cooked rice
Remove skin, slice and brown sausages in heavy skillet; drain and set aside. Measure water, chicken bouillon, onions, and celery into large heavy pot. Bring to a boil. Add sausage, turkey, garlic, and tomatoes. Heat to boiling. Stir in filé, thyme, and pepper. Simmer 10 to 15 minutes more. Serve with a scoop of rice.
Nutrition facts per serving: 230 cal (51% cal. from fat), 13g total fat (4g sat fat, 6g mono, 2g poly), 60mg chol., 720mg sodium, 6g carbo., <1g fiber, 21g pro. Daily Values: 8% vit. A, 20% vit. C, 6% calcium, 10% iron, 6% potassium.